the Journey- PAST, present, future

 Hi Sisters, Sandy here with the first of a 3-part Thursday Devotional looking at fears of the past, present and future. Today we are taking on the past.

Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it will spring forth, do you not perceive it?... Isaiah 43:18-19
Did you know that there is a term for fear of memories? Yep, it's called Mnemophobia. Afraid of the past? Seems kind of silly. How can we be afraid of something that already happen? Well, we remember, and when we remember we can feel again the fear and helplessness. And that fear can affect our future.
I am sure you heard the saying “living in the past”. When we are looking to just the past, reliving it over and over, we are bound to that fear and not receiving what God has for us. Another way we can say it is, past fears can cripple the abundant blessings that the Father has for us now and in the future. We build a wall around our mind and heart. We limit God and tie up the moving of the Holy Spirit.
We are all experienced situations that were just bad. May it be health crisis (for me it was a miscarriage of our second baby) or death (for me it was losing my dad, the superstar of the family) or loss (for me it was losing my first job, apartment at 24yrs old, living at the top of the world, having it crash down and moving home with just my clothes and cat). I know you can add many more to that list. But how do we move past these fears?
1) Thank God that He got us through whatever it was we experienced. Yes, even when it is bad, we thank Him. Acknowledge that He has you in the palm of His hand. Is. 49:16
2) Turn those past events that you feared into lessons you can use in the future. Don’t be afraid to look back not to fear but to learn from them and how God was moving. ‘Do not fear [anything], for I am with you; Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, be assured I will help you; I will certainly take hold of you with My righteous right hand [a hand of justice, of power, of victory, of salvation. Is 41:10
3) Move forward, looking towards the future. When those fearful memories and thoughts try to overtake you, fight back. Declare the promises of God, use words of faith, ask God for wisdom. The glory of the latter will be greater than the former. Haggai 2:9
Fight fear with the truth of God’s word. Decide to take that stand and don't let past fear stop you from what God has called you to do now and in the future.
No photo description available.

Comments

Popular Posts